PETITION to Return Curricula Decisions to Local Communities
A General Assembly bill (S0863) enacted into law in 2019 empowered the Rhode Island Department of Education (RIDE) to develop curricula for various subjects that can be mandated to every school district in the state … a top-down, one-size-fits-all, centrally-planned power that removed authority from local school districts and, instead, granted near-absolute power to RIDE to dictate what is taught to our children.
Since then, RIDE and its Commissioner, Angelica Infante-Green, have proven to be wholly ineffective, irresponsible, and unworthy of the authority granted to it by state lawmakers. RIDE has continually sought to infuse controversial political theories into K-12 curricula … and to infringe on parental rights and on the authority of locally-elected school committee members.
For the many reasons cited below, I am petitioning lawmakers to reverse course and to support legislation – House bill H5498 and Senate bill S0187 – to REPEAL that 2019 law, which would return curricula decisions to local school committees, local school officials, and local parents.
- Since Commissioner Infante-Green assumed control, RIDE’s controversial policies have led to failing and falling student achievement across the state, all while per-pupil costs have soared
- RIDE’s takeover of the Providence and Central Falls school systems has not improved student achievement outcomes
- In a recent report, RIDE’s “social studies standards” were criticized as teaching radical activism instead of America’s true birthright of liberty
- RIDE’s recommended “sex ed” curricula was recently exposed as not only being age-inappropriate but immoral, perverted, and an infringement on parental discretion
- RIDE is openly planning to tear-apart families, by converting school buildings into 24-hour service centers for students they successfully “emancipate” from their own parents
By signing this petition, I also authorize an email to be automatically generated on my behalf and sent to legislative and educational officials in our state.
Text that will be emailed to elected officials and RIDE staff upon each signing of this petition:
I call on state lawmakers to support 2023 RI House bill H5498 and Senate bill S0187 that will REPEAL the enacted state law based on the 2019 Senate bill S0863 … and to return curricula decisions to local communities.
With falling student achievement across our state … and by developing controversial academic standards and forcing the adoption of divisive and overly-politicized curricula … the Rhode Island Department of Education (RIDE) has proven to be wholly irresponsible and unworthy of the authority granted to it in 2019 by the General Assembly.
It is time for state lawmakers to reverse course and to return curricula authority to local school committees, local school officials, and local parents.
NOTE: When you submit this action, an email will automatically be sent to multiple lawmakers and education officials, which will include your first name and city; it is your option whether or not to include your last name and email address as well. You will then be directed to a new page asking you to share this action on social media. Our goal is to increase the number of people seeing this important action, so we encourage you to share this page on social media. Thank you.