SUBMIT TESTIMONY in SUPPORT of H5498 Returning Curricula Decisions to Local Communities
THE HEARING IS THIS WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON
You must SUBMIT this form with YOUR TESTIMONY before 2:00PM Wednesday
Background: The General Assembly in 2019 empowered the Rhode Island Department of Education (RIDE) to develop curricula for various subjects that can be mandated to every school district in the state … a top-down, one-size-fits-all, centrally-planned power that removed authority from local school districts and, instead, granted near-absolute power to RIDE to dictate what is taught to our children.
Since then, RIDE and its Commissioner, Angelica Infante-Green, have proven to be wholly ineffective, irresponsible, and unworthy of the authority granted to it by state lawmakers. RIDE has continually sought to infuse controversial political theories into K-12 curricula … and to infringe on parental rights and on the authority of locally-elected school committee members.
For the many reasons cited below, Rhode Island students need the state to reverse course and to support legislation – House bill H5498 – to REPEAL that 2019 law, which would return curricula decisions to local school committees, local school officials, and local parents.
- Since Commissioner Infante-Green assumed control, RIDE’s controversial policies have led to failing and falling student achievement across the state, all while per-pupil costs have soared
- RIDE’s takeover of the Providence and Central Falls school systems has not improved student achievement outcomes
- In a recent report, RIDE’s “social studies standards” were criticized as teaching radical activism instead of America’s true birthright of liberty
- RIDE’s recommended “sex ed” curricula was recently exposed as not only being age-inappropriate but immoral, perverted, and an infringement on parental discretion
- RIDE is openly planning to tear-apart families, by converting school buildings into 24-hour service centers for students they successfully “emancipate” from their own parents
By filling out this online action, I also authorize an email to be automatically generated on my behalf and sent to the clerk in the House Committee of Education to record my written testimony. The email will also include the committee chair and the bill sponsor.
Text that will be emailed to the House Committee on Education clerk:
My name is (Your Name.)
I am submitting testimony in support of House Bill No. 5498 AN ACT RELATING TO EDUCATION — CURRICULUM.
(Your Written Testimony.)
The Rhode Island General Assembly should repeal the establishment of statewide academic standards for core subjects and the implementation into the curriculum of all public schools.
Please vote to move this critical piece of legislation out of committee.
NOTE: When you submit this action, an email will automatically be generated with your written testimony to the clerk in the House Committee of Education, the committee chair, and the bill sponsor, which will include your full name. You will then be directed to a new page asking you to share this action on social media. Our goal is to increase the number of people seeing this important action, so we encourage you to share this page on social media. Thank you.