MEDIA RELEASE: Center Launches #WeWantOurSummerBack Campaign – with catchy new Jingle!
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 21, 2020
|Citizens Encouraged to Take Action to Save Summer|
Governor Had No Legal or Data Basis to Cancel Group Fun
Listen to the #WeWantOurSummerBack Jingle here
Providence, RI – Responding to overwhelming feedback from Ocean Staters angered about the Governor’s unjustified summer shut-down, and who are asking what they can do … the Rhode Island Center for Freedom & Prosperity answered the call and today launched its #WeWantOurSummerBack campaign.
The campaign, which includes a home webpage and a catchy new jingle, initially provides three action steps citizens can take to raise public and legislative awareness:
- Submit for website posting, the event or family activity that the Governor has cancelled for you or your family
- Contact your lawmaker to encourage them to reconvene, and utilize their power to end the Governor’s over-cooked declared state of emergency
- Sign an online petition to fully #ReOpenRI, as all businesses and jobs are essential
“This Governor’s arbitrary summer lock-down is not supported by the data and was not even legal,” declared Mike Stenhouse, the Center’s CEO. “Many Rhode Islanders feel that the Governor unjustifiably shut-down our summer fun. The General Assembly can be heroes and give us our summer back.”
The #WeWantOurSummerBack campaign is premised on two critical claims:
- The Governor provided no data or scientific justification for shutting down group summer activities. To drive home this point, Stenhouse yesterday published a detailed video analysis of the state’s Covid-19 data.
- In April, the Governor exceeded her 30-day limit on emergency powers when she canceled parades, weddings, and other traditional summer time activities. A legal analysis by the Center’s Flanders Legal Center for Freedom clearly makes this point.
Words to the #WeWantOurSummerBack 20-second “jingle” include:
We want our summer back… the WaterFire, the Fourth of July, the Gaspee parade, the Del’s at the beach…
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!